Amber Hamilton (senior, sociology)
Amber recently defended her senior thesis, “Race, State Violence and Media Framing,” for which she received a $1,000 research grant from Ohio State:
- Why did you choose sociology as a major? I was drawn to Sociology because I felt that I could study the subareas of the discipline (stratifications, race, criminology) that most interested me.
- What is your favorite subject in sociology/criminology? My favorite subject in the discipline is stratification.
- What do you plan to do after leaving Ohio State? Upon graduation in the spring 2016, I will be enrolling as a sociology doctoral student at the University of Minnesota.
- One interesting fact about yourself. I’m an avid video gamer. I have a PlayStation and an Xbox and I often play for hours (once my school work is done, of course).
Jonathon Sun (senior, sociology)
Jonathon Sun also recently defended his senior thesis, “East Meets West: Asian American Leadership in Multiracial Churches.”
- What made you become interested in sociology/criminology? As a chemistry major I was very interested in social justice issues within the Asian American community. Speaking with some of the folks at Ohio State’s Multicultural Center they suggested that I check out the sociology department. Everything else is history
- What is your favorite subject in sociology/criminology? My favorite subject in sociology is race. Race is an, unspoken yet prevalent force within our society. It is something that society created and now something that society needs to take care of.
- What do you plan to do after leaving Ohio State? I will be going to Mizzou to pursue a masters in educational leadership and policy analysis with an emphasis in higher education (ELPA:HE). My graduate assistantship will be in the multicultural center where I will be working with their Asian American Organization and the Minority Student Leadership Advocates. Here I hope to continue work on race and leadership and understanding how race and leadership work in a college organization.
- One interesting fact about yourself. Aside from the presentation I gave at TEDxOhioStateUniversity, I have a couple other "Viral" youtube videos that I have been part of...One is a parody of Frozen. The other is Asian Kids Say I Love You to Their Parents.