Payments to Individuals for Services

  • Payments to non-employees: requests to pay an individual for a service (transcription, subvention, proofreading, indexing, etc.) need to be submitted and approved before work begins.  Requests should be submitted to eRequest or Karissa Wess with an attached, completed and ink-signed 
    The eRequest should also include a quote for the service and dates of when the work will be performed.
  • Payments to employees: requests to compensate employees for work performed outside of their assigned duties should be emailed to Nicola Betts for processing.  If approved, the payment will be included in the employee's paycheck the following month.

Business Cards

Business cards can be ordered through Uniprint or Karissa Wess.  Uniprint orders require a Procurement Request number (PR#) from eRequest and procurement requests submitted through eRequest require a quote so you will need to process both requests (Uniprint and eRequest) simultaneously so that you can supply each, Uniprint and eRequest, with the information that each requires. The cost of having business cards printed will be charged to the individual's funds


eRequest is a web-based procurement system that enables anyone to submit a request to pay for goods or services. The following directions will guide you through the system. By setting your preferences according to these directions, you can submit a request by completing as few as three fields (item description, estimated amount and business purpose) in eRequest.  For additional assistance, please email Karissa Wess.10.

  • Go to the eRequest procurement system
  • Log-in using your university name.# credentials
  • Click on "Preferences" in the page header
  • Enter your university "Ship To" address:
Department of Sociology
The Ohio State University
238 Townshend Hall
1885 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
  • Org Number - enter the Department of Sociology org number, "07770".  This will ensure that your request is routed to the appropriate person for approval.
  • Chartfield - this is not a required field, but you may enter it if this has been provided to you.
  • Click "Save"
  • Go to the eRequest procurement system
  • Log-in using your university name.# credentials
  • Click on "New"
  • Enter the appropriate information in the required fields (see red asterisks)
  • Using the following Procurement Decision Tree, enter the first applicable "Purchasing/Payment Option":
  1. Internal  Order (Uniprint, The Blackwell, University Libraries and other university vendors)
  2. eStores (Standard Purchasing Request) - click on red eStores button to search for the following vendors
    1. Key Contracts (100% compliance is mandated in order to leverage our spending to yield the maximum savings)
      1. Beverages - Coke
      2. Express Mailing - UPS
      3. Office Supplies - Staples
      4. Copiers/Printers - Comdoc (Xerox)
    2. Preferred vendors - see Find a Supplier search engine (MBE, Hotels, Beverages, Catering, etc.)
  3. Department card (PCard Preferred) – all purchases less than $2,500 that cannot be purchased through an internal vendor, eStores or preferred vendor.
  4. Reimbursement to Employee or Payment (to an Non-Employee)
  • Enter a short description of the item you would like to purchase or service for which you would like to pay
  • Enter the quantity of the item you would like to purchase
  • Enter the estimated amount of the purchase
  • Enter the Vendor/Payee information (i.e. where/from whom are you making the purchase)
  • Enter the business purpose (i.e. Why do you need to make this purchase?)
  • Upload any quotes or supporting documentation you have
  • Click "Continue"
  • Review your purchase request
  • Click "Submit for Approval"

After you submit your request, you will receive an email with your purchasing request number (PR#) confirming that you submitted your request for approval.  The appropriate approvers in the department will also receive an email notification to approve the request.  Unless you are contacted for more information, your request should be approved within 24 hours. Once approved, if you:

  • Submitted an Internal Order, the approved request will be sent to the internal vendor so that the vendor can charge us for the good/sevice requested
  • Submitted a Standard Purchasing Request, through eStores or based on a quote, a purchase order will be sent to the vendor and you should receive the good/service shortly
  • Submitted a PCard request, arrange a time with Karissa to pick-up and drop-off the PCard.  Remember to bring your PR# with you for reference.
  • Submitted a Reimbursement request, the reimbursement will appear in your bank account within a couple business days
  • Submitted a payment request (e.g. honorarium), a check will printed in a couple business days and placed in the mail, addressed to payee.  If you would like to have the check held for pick-up, please note this in the eRequest.

Should you have any questions/concerns/need for assistance, please don't hesitate to contact Karissa Wess.